This course is unique because it presents the ancient system of Vedic mathematics from India but in a modern context, i.e. the insights of an experienced math coach. There are no specific exams in mind, but since we are dealing with the foundation of all math, i.e. the 4 operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, it inevitably will be useful in any kind of assessment.
- Videos (screen casts) = 30
- PPTs = 1 (Table of Contents)
- online tests (groups of practice examples with solutions following): 83, spread over 26 lessons
Here is an outline of the course:
Topic 1: Accelerated Addition
- Add a large group of digits by pairing or tripling them off first into tens sums, a faster method then just adding on another number.
- Use the simple method of digit sums to check whether your answer is correct or not.
- Combine left-to-right adding of columns with expanded notation for very rapid, even mental calculation
- Graduate to Vedic addition, which tackles even tougher problems with faster speed.
Topic 2: Subtraction Without Borrowing
- Use backwards addition to retrace from the smaller number back to the larger one
- Learn a pre-Vedic way to subtract left-to-right, invented by the author, that can be done mentally
- Learn the famous Vedic bar numbers - which harnesses negative numbers
Topic 3: Mental Multiplication
- Again going left to right, learn how to solve in your head for the product, using expanded notation
- Step up to Vedic multiplication, which will empower the learner to multiply two 3-digit numbers entirely in your head
Topic 4: Making Long Division Shorter
- Learn to divide horizontally, not vertically
- Learn the famous Vedic flag division for two-digit divisors, which fills a fraction of the space of Western long division
- Step up to 3 and 4-digit divisors and learn both decimal and whole number remainders in a very unique way.
Topic 5: Multiplication: Special Cases
- Learn to multiply 997 X 993 in about 6 seconds
- Extend the above skill to even more general situations
- Learn to recognize the pattern of two factors symmetrically equidistant from a "friendly" square root for rapid solving.
Topic 6: Division: Special Cases
- Learn that some divisors can divide by just adding or subtracting their digits, i.e. no division!
- Take advantage of divisors "near a base" i.e. a power of 10, for super-rapid quotients
- See division of multi-digit numbers as the reverse of multi-digit multiplication for a unique algorithm.
Once you graduate this course, you may want to learn Vedic math from books and other online courses in vedicmaths.org
Who is it for?
The target audience, originally teachers and parents, is actually anyone who wants to improve his math skills far beyond the norm.
Why take this course:
The learner will be greatly empowered in computational skills far above not only that of the general population, but even above the usual math teacher's skills.
Language of instruction: English